Monday, September 9, 2013

All the Jasmines, Annas and Cathys


I’m not gonna lie, this post just came right to my head, and yes it is because I got obsessed with Blue Jasmine. Without being a Woody’s fan, I have to say that it is exquisite and terrifying, not because I can relate to the jet setting life style whatsoever, after all I’m just a broke grad student. The point of that movie being terrifying-exquisite is that of putting meds (you know which kind) and traumatic episodes of one’s life in a movie. So there you go, I felt like I could somehow end up talking to myself…scary uh? Well as much as it was scary/sad it had all the right amount of sadness to make it funny. I just couldn’t help it but cracking up whenever she started talking incessantly about herself and thus making other people annoyed. 

Furthermore, with the latest update on my life situation, it seemed just like the right movie to watch after Elizabeth Wurtzel’s story (meds again) or just how one can be pretty fucked up. Somehow all this chain of events led me to think, just this morning on the bus, how I’ve been mildly(?) obsessed all my life with female characters who, let’s face it, are fucked up (yeah, this is me using fucked up over and over again, I may be obsessed with that one too). And this obsession is not recent, no sir, it goes way back in time (>15 years maybe?). After struggling these last few days to remember what Madame Bovary’s name was, whose last name I couldn’t even remember. It just struck me today, Jasmine and Elizabeth were coming to join Emma’s club, but the club is not exclusive to Emma, oh no way. Anna Karenina is one of my “all-time” favorite books, damn it, I absolutely loved that book. So there you go, Anna is there, with Cathy, remember her? She fucking suffered to the point it was unbelievable. Sorry Emily, I love you but you were pretty fucked up yourself too, and I am just jealous I could never be a talented writer. Then, a week ago, just to catch up with the mental issues I went to watch Marla on fight club being an unconditional/puppy-like lover (which by the way happened on a midnight screening, where, I fitted in just perfectly).

Interestingly enough, my “lady-names obsession club” could not be complete without having other female tormented martyrs from my own ethnicity: Teresa aka badass/drugdealer/I’m-a-slut-but-I-don’t-care-I’m-great-at-this Mendoza (I know it is cliché and all but it’s Reverte’s masterpiece and extremely delicious, yes I’m calling a book “delicious”); Catalina Guzman (even the book title was drama-like and they just screwed it up with the awful movie); Clemencia; Tita and then the very best Sierva María de todos los Ángeles. And so my list goes on and on and there was a moment where it was getting diverse including Adelines and Mikages. But, now it is neither spanding nor diversifying, why? It seems like I’m in the middle of this reading/writing/depressing block that has left me empty. And I just can’t get over it by myself, so it all goes back to the Blue Jasmine situation. I need to think about to meds or not to meds.


But the rambling doesn’t stop here, I then started to think about the names going all the way to music, what about Corinne? Caroline (personal – stars)? Even my name is in one or two songs (that I know of), one of them über-lame I know (I was never into guns and roses but hey, something must be better than nothing). Wait, I’m getting distracted here, the whole point was to shred my obsession with female names involved with some kind of drama in their lives and now I’m talking about songs? Argh, I just can’t do one thing without the other, there’s music and there’s books… maybe a bit of tv and I could talk about Piper and how that show makes lesbians interesting but I'll skip that (for now).  


Oh! And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Qp7ZNJq7A

No comments:

Post a Comment